Wednesday 22 October 2008

Updates and excuses and tasty bread.

Some of you may be aware of a discernable dip in output of late, certainly in comparison to the voracity with which I was churning out culinary tales over the summer months. This is not due to a waning interest in matters gastronomic nor a declining desire to write. On the contrary, it is precisely for this reason that I’ve had a little less time to craft the various food stories that grace these electronic pages.

As much as I adore welcoming you into my metaphorical bosom and telling tales of pheasants, pigs’ ears, delis and other such delights, the remuneration package is not particularly attractive. I dare say that I might be able to earn more money stitching Nike footballs in a Singaporean sweatshop.

As a result I’ve had to partake in a little moonlighting. Not only have I started tutoring again but I’ve also had my head down working on a collection of short stories as well as making a start on a novel and, sadly, I only have so many hours in my day. The short stories should be finished within the next couple of months, the novel will take considerably longer but they will come. And you wonderful people will be the first to know.



I have been cooking, I promise. There is a beef, onion and porcini pie baking in the oven and two fresh loaves cooling temptingly in the kitchen as I write these very words (pictorial proof supplied above). I’m off to meet some pig farmers and spend a couple of hours on a turkey farm tomorrow and with a (hopefully) crisp autumn and winter ahead of us there should be plenty of opportunity to both eat and write about some hearty comfort food.

But in the mean time, please bear with me whilst I get my head down, adopt the saddened tone and gaunt features of an impoverished writer and try, desperately, to make this work so that we can afford to heat the house this winter (cue violins).

6 comments:

Amber said...

I appreciate the time and comment. My table was the last table post, all in white and silver on the 17th. This is so enjoyable I would love to plan weddings or something where I could use this or perhaps tutor like you. Unfortunately not many people pay for dish tutoring, maybe a book of ideas one day. Be blessed.

Alicia Foodycat said...

My bread never looks like that! Good luck with the paid work - it's terrible how it gets in the way. You need a patron, like Shakespeare had.

Hopie said...

If it's in the interest of short stories and a novel, I suppose we can forgive you. Can't wait to hear all about them! As an impoverished actress (quick, get out the hankies, here comes the melodrama), I know all about having to find things that pay money (for me currently babysitting and mystery shopping), while working on one's art and also cooking and blogging!

Still, I'm sad there's no picture of the beef, onion and porcini pie. Sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Hey, if the writing doesn't work out for you (and I have no doubts it will!) you should consider becoming a master baker or food photographer! That is definitely some tasty looking bread.
Good luck with your writing!

Just Cook It said...

Thanks amber, good luck with things.

foodycat - A patron would be wonderful, sadly given the current financial climate I find it unlikely that I will find one. I might post the bread recipe at some point soon.

hopie - The pursuit of the arts in the face of the pressing worries of the modern age is frustratingly difficult. But it must continue! There will be a pie post before too long, for sure.

quyen - thank you very much for the kind words, much appreicated.

QGIRL said...

I apolize for my overuse of exclamation points. I don't know what is wrong with me. I think I may need help. lol.